We are looking for a mid-level professional to source, underwrite, recommend, and manage loans in Open Road’s core fund, the Open Road Impact Fund. The ideal candidate will have 4-6 years experience managing a loan portfolio or other finance experience and a proven track record in investing in emerging markets. The ideal candidate will be confident, self-motivated, organized, and eager to join our passionate, impact-minded, and values-driven team.
The Investment Officer will be an integral member of the Investments Team, specifically responsible for sourcing, underwriting and managing Open Road’s increased volume of applicant pipeline. This includes, business development, origination, due diligence, and relationship-management. The Investment Officer will be the primary, external facing point of contact for qualified applicants, leading 10 - 12 loans per year, building their own portfolio of bridge loans. The Investment Officer will also support the Portfolio team in post-investment portfolio management, as needed. To successfully manage these loans, the Investment Officer will have financial structuring experience, a deep knowledge of impact investing, a strong commitment to the values of Open Road, experience working in emerging market lending is a plus, as is a passion for excellent customer service. Since Open Road is an impact investor, portfolio success is evaluated in terms of social and financial indicators, including assessing social impact and other non-financial criteria. This position will report to the Director of Investments.
This position will ideally be based in Washington DC, to enable regular in‐person meetings with other Open Road staff. However, U.S. based remote applications will be considered as Open Road does not operate out of a fixed office.
Portfolio Origination – Outreach, Intake and Underwriting
- Maintain a robust pipeline of potential investments through proactive sourcing of potential borrowers;
- Regularly speak with potential loan applicants and investors to explain the investment strategy and criteria of Open Road;
- Serve as primary, external facing point of contact for qualified applicants, managing a portfolio of relationships;
- Shepherd potential applicants through the applications and due diligence process including: conduct initial conversations, provide feedback on draft applications, perform financial analysis, conduct reference checks, coordinate final interviews, prepare briefings for the Investment Committee, participate in all aspects of vetting, and make investment recommendations;
- Underwrite a portfolio of bridge loans, typically between 10-12 deals per year; analyze financial statements, write internal investment memo, structure transactions and negotiation of key terms, including term sheets and loan agreements;
- Conduct research and compile briefings on prospective borrowers and impact investing partners, product development and other topics, as needed.
- Build relationships with key actors in the impact investing ecosystem and represent Open Road at industry events, conferences, etc.
Portfolio Management - Support post-investment portfolio management, including:
- Maintaining an open line of communication with borrower/partners at all times;
- In conjunction with Portfolio Team, act as a backup relationship manager once loan has been made, check in with partners on an as needed basis, assisting with the repayment process for originated loans, including flagging any potential credit issues;
- Proactively refine knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices for bridge financing products, and documenting learnings to be shared within Open Road and externally.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in relevant field a plus though not required;
- Four to six years of relevant work experience, preferably in impact investing, finance, philanthropy, and/or consulting;
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, including ability to identify and assess risk and analyze and understand complex financing structures. Comfort with financial statements and corporate finance required;
- Project management-related or analogous experience preferred;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written);
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel for financial modeling, Salesforce experience a plus;
- The ability to leverage an existing impact investing network is a plus;
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite.
Alignment with Open Road Values
- Ambitious: Exceptional critical thinker that is hungry to learn;
- Accountable: Very strong ability to self-manage in remote work environments;
- Teamwork: Proven ability to successfully work with a team of stakeholders based in various locations;
- Humility: Humility is a core part of our team character, our financing is supporting the people doing the hard work;
- Integrity: Absolute and unquestioned integrity;
- Openness: A commitment to continuous learning;
- Practicality: A focus on efficiency as we work in a constantly changing impact investing environment;
- Kindness: Providing compassion and empathy to the entrepreneurs we work with whenever possible;
- Equity: Desire to work in a mission-driven environment with a recognition of our shared responsibility to improve our actions and behaviors to build a more equitable world.
Position Location & Travel
The preferred location for this position is Washington, DC, however this is a remote position and all U.S based candidates will be considered based on their relevant qualifications. We leverage technology and digital communications on a daily basis to stay connected and foster an efficient and effective working environment.
Must be available for frequent virtual and occasional in-person meetings. Must be able and willing to travel up to 20% for in-person meetings, conferences, and/or other events.
This is a U.S. based position and in compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required eligibility verification form upon hire.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position. We’re proud to support the health and wellbeing of the people we employ and offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes healthcare coverage, 401(k) plan with an employer match, parental leave, paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, and other benefits that support work-life balance.
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $110,000 with final offer to be based on the individual candidate’s qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
- Email résumé and cover letter in a single document to email@example.com
- Title the document lastname_firstname IO Application
- Ensure the email subject states “Investment Officer—[YOUR NAME]”
- Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.
- Applications received by August 11, 2023 will be given priority.
Please know that the Open Road extends opportunities to a broad array of candidates, and strongly encourages people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Whether you are returning to work after a gap in employment, looking to transition, or simply ready to take the next step in your career, your application is invited, and will receive full consideration in the search process.
About Open Road
Open Road "unsticks" critical impact capital for companies experiencing systemic funding delays that threaten to derail their work or time to impact. From mini-grid companies in West Africa to fintech financial inclusion companies in Colombia, Open Road provides bridge loans to companies, funds, and projects focused on addressing climate change or reducing inequality globally. As the only impact investment vehicle designed to eliminate funding delays, Open Road’s loans serve as the catalyst borrowers need to maintain their operations, accelerate the scale of their solutions, and increase their impact.
Since its founding in 2012, Open Road has loaned over $60M to 150+ social impact organizations, keeping nearly $700M of impact and follow-on financing on track. In 2023, Open Road expects to further meet the needs of the sector, with a goal of disbursing over $20M and unstick an additional $200M of impact. For more, visit www.openroadalliance.org.