We’re Hiring!: Communications Intern
4-month commitment beginning February 2019
We’re looking for an excellent writer and external-facing communicator with a keen interest in nonprofit, philanthropy, impact investing, or a related sector. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized, and eager to join our passionate, impact-driven team.
About Open Road
Open Road Alliance is a private philanthropic initiative that was founded in 2012 with the mission to keep impact on track in the social sector.
Open Road provides both short- and long-term solutions to unexpected challenges that arise during project implementation so that impact and finite resources can be maximized across the social sector.
To meet immediate needs of organizations, Open Road offers fast, flexible funding to nonprofits and social enterprises facing discrete, unexpected roadblocks during project implementation via two portfolios: Charitable Grants and Loans. Open Road Loans are below-market-rate and disbursed via our loan fund, Open Road Ventures.
In addition to its investment portfolio, Open Road promotes the long-term, sector-wide adoption of better risk management practices. It conducts ongoing research and generates data around impact-focused risk management. By disseminating learnings and advocating for the adoption of best practices, Open Road is working to make risk management as commonplace in philanthropy as monitoring and evaluation. To learn more visit www.openroadalliance.org
The Communications Intern will report directly to the Communications Manager to support the organization’s communications, research, and advocacy initiatives. The Communications Intern will directly support the crafting and execution of a variety of external-facing marketing and communications including social media, newsletters, blogs, and more. They will also support the organization’s Press Strategy, events, and awards. In short, we need a Communications utility player who is excited to gain experience in the social sector. Open Road is a small (and growing!) team which means there is significant opportunity for the Communications Intern to contribute substantively to the work we do.
Open Road is a 21st-century work environment and does not operate out of a single, fixed office. Our team works remotely and in shared workspaces, utilizing multiple communication technologies, with frequent in-person meetings.
This is a 10-15 hours/week paid position, based in New York City. The candidate must be available to work at our New York office in Queens Plaza at least one day per week, as well as remote. A laptop is required. Rate is $15/hour.
This position is a fourth-month commitment beginning in February, with possibility of extension based on performance and organizational need.
- Completed, or in progress towards, a Bachelor’s Degree (required)
- Strong writer comfortable crafting compelling messaging – whether it be a long-form article, 280 characters, or something in between
- Experience with Twitter and LinkedIn
- Highly organized, able to track and juggle multiple projects at once
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Team player, willing to jump into any project or assignment when needed
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Interested in pursuing a career in social or environmental impact
Bonus points for…
- Currently pursuing a Graduate Degree in a relevant field
- Professional experience with MailChimp, WordPress, Tweetdeck, LinkedIn
- 1-2 years professional experience (including internships)
- Professional experience in the social impact sector (including volunteering or internships)
- Experience with Photoshop
- Experience working within the Google Suite ecosystem
- A passion for Oxford commas forever, forever, and forever (Kidding. But only kind of…)
- A sense of humor (see above)
How to Apply
- Email resume and cover letter to [email protected]
- Ensure the subject states “Communications Intern—[YOUR NAME]”
- Successful candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please allow up to two weeks to be contacted. We regret that we are not in a position to personally respond to all applicants.
- Priority will be given to candidates that apply by January 15, 2019.